CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Arkansas Recap Take Four

I know. It is taking me forever to highlight our trip to Arkansas. But this is the last post! And WARNING, it is an extremely long post. I wrote more this time. I guess I was feeling wordy and not wanting to realize the trip is really over. Sad. But we sure had some fun!

My mother-in-law took me garage selling one day and believe it or not, I found a ton of good things. Many of the Daniel's summer clothes are from one of the garage sales there. I also scored some 25 cent aprons, a Melissa & Doug chore chart, a Wilton Guitar cake pan, the best mug ever and some books and games for the kids. Who knew I could find all of that in the back hills of Arkansas. The woman with the cake pan did tell me she has to bake seven cakes a week for her 17 year old. Just a side note that I found interesting.
And the picture above? To end garage selling, she showed me some of the stores in town. This one happens to be my favorite. The name doesn't do it justice. But it is FILLED with Quicksilver and Roxy clothes for kids. I just wish my pocket book would let me love that store.

Grandma had to work in the mornings for the final week we were there. I think the kids favorite part (and mine too, I must guiltily admit) was Grandma bringing home some sort of surprise every day. One time it was a pool for the porch and this time it was the story, "Green Eggs and Ham." They loved it and still do. I just read it to them last night and Daniel is looking at it as I type. Thank you Grandma!

My father-in-law took me fishing. Here he is getting it all ready for me. What a great guy. We had so much fun. At least I did. And the best part. He likes to talk! And so do I! So, it wasn't a boring fishing excursion at all.

We did a type of fishing called "trolling." This was completely new to me, but I have to say it is now my favorite type of fishing. (You were right Debbie.) I put my pole in and let it do the work while we cruised around in the boat. Now that is my kid of fishing. My hand is only in the picture so it looks like I was actually doing something.

And I caught a fish. First I caught a stick, but then this little guy. Unfortunately my desire for fish dinner wasn't met. You have to catch 12 inches or above and neither my father-in-law nor I caught anything close to that long. :(

And possibly the best part about my in-laws living where they do, (besides chickens, the beauty, the quiet, the dark and starry nights, and . . .) is the tractor. A surprise the kids had no idea about. I'm sure they would have been begging to ride that thing the whole time we were there if Grandpa had pulled it out at the beginning.

One of my favorite trips was a day trip to Branson, Missouri. It is the Las Vegas of that part of the country. The first part of our trip was to The Butterfly Palace. We started with a 3D video of the life of a butterfly and then we were able to go into a butterfly atrium. It was amazing. A yellow butterfly landed on my wrist. One landed on Daniel's back. And they even let Daniel release a butterfly. It was pretty exciting. The blue butterfly pictured above was my favorite. I couldn't catch a picture of it with it's wings open, but wouldn't you know, that was one of the one's released. So the worker held the paper still for me that the butterfly was on before she let it go. So beautiful!
Then we went downstairs and checked out their Insect Zoo. Yikes! There were some pretty interesting creatures, including that lizard thing and an exhibit full of LIVE ROACHES! Gross. I see enough here as it is.
And then we were off for some shopping at an outlet mall. My mother-in-law has a talent for finding great deals (and garage sales). I seriously wished I lived by her for that reason- and many others. Daniel scored with a long board shirt (if any of you don't know, Carlo is a true blue long boarder purist) and Coral with the cutest dress and butterfly (appropriate regarding the trip) shirt and Capri's. And of course the trip was not complete without a stop at the Disney store. We were spoiled.
Grandpa took Daniel fishing in a pond and they caught a few fish. And Daniel sat in duck poop. He had fun and kept asking the whole time we were there when he could go fishing.

And Grandpa turned 60 while we were there! (Now everybody knows your age.) My mother-in-law made a killer cake with some delicious icing. The cake recipe came from my father-in-law's mother. Yummy! And the guitar shaped cake . . . where did that come from? And does he really look 60? I hope I look that great when I'm 60 years old!



We ended our trip with a night of some delicious chocolate chip cookies and fireworks! Daniel loved them- if you can't tell by his expression in one of the pictures. Grandpa put on a great show!

The dreaded flight home that turned out to be great. No puking, no crying and Coral even slept for half of it. I asked Daniel if he wanted to fly again and he said, "I'm done for now Mom." lol
Thanks for a GREAT trip Grandpa and Grandma. You always spoil us and we have way too much fun. Which is probably why Daniel was praying something would happen so we didn't have to fly home! The trip was just the refresher we needed. We only wish we could see each other more. Love you guys! (Sorry for those reading who are not Grandma and Grandpa.) :)

5 comments:

EvaMarieva said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
EvaMarieva said...

Oh don't apologize. I love reading about your fun and could tell very easily how much you love Debbie & Steve. I just wish we all lived closer and I could see her in grandma mode in person!

Tiffani said...

Holy long post. Sorry, no time to read it right now, but I had to tell you that you are my favorite person right now for the comment on my blog! We all love to hear that we haven't aged as much as we think we have, right!?? LOVE YOU!!!
Oh, and I saw your blog right after you put the monkeys up and totally copied it! I was glad there was another option so I didn't look like a total knock off ... but in reality, I am! To cute!
Thanks again for the "you made my day" comment!
Tiff

Stephanie said...

What fun grandparents! Everyone needs a set of grandparents and In-laws like those- Seriously...you are SO lucky! (So are those cute kids of yours too!)

J and Heather said...

I love reading and seeing your trip unfold. Don't you just love in-laws. Your in-laws seem amazing. And your pictures are too cute and fun. By the way I love you and your family so much, oh and we so need to go to the lake.