I went to the library this morning. I have to admit, it has been awhile. I've had enough new, old and borrowed reads to keep me busy. Things have changed. Our world is changing in many ways. And I'm worried I won't be able to keep up so I can keep my kids informed. Change scares me. It always has.
First of all, I was surprised by a few of the titles of the children's book:
My Mommy's Tattoo
My Parents are Divorced and Now I have Two Mommies.
Yes, the world truly is changing when we begin reading our children these books so they can understand the world around them.
Then I went to check out. No, I didn't check out any of the above books. I don't have any tattoos (sigh of relief from my mom- j/k) and I'm not divorced or in a relationship with another woman (unless you count my adorable Coral). So, those books don't really apply to my children. But I did have trouble checking out.
Why, you might wonder? Well, they recently did some construction and changed the self check-out. Now, all that needs to be done is to set two to three books on the counter and the scanner underneath registers which books they are and checks them out to you. Voila! Done. It's that simple.
Do you remember the days when you had to wait in line and hand all of your book to a library worker and they checked them out for you? Those days are gone. We are entering a new age of fast and convenient. I don't mind, but I think I might not be able to keep up or get used to it!
For example, I went country dancing with a few friends last night. I rode with Tami, one of my best friends from high school, and she asked me to hold on to what I thought was her keyless entry that attaches to her keys. It is actually called a key fob, which I found out later.
After we were done showing everyone how country line dancing is suppose to be done (Not really. For me anyway. I just looked like I had no idea what I was doing; and that's the truth. I didn't!), she remembered I had her key fob and told me to simply touch the door handle. I did and the car unlocked! What?! The handle somehow sensed the key fob was on my person. Then we climbed inside the car and she pushed a button to start it? Where have I been? Oh, my car is over five years old. That is where I have been.
Oh, so many changes. Yes, I am getting older.
Thursday, August 6, 2009
The Change
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Oh how things are changing. The car entry system sounds cool! What a difference only a few years makes now.
My BIL and SIL's car has that too...totally cool: another cool thing is that it works on the trunk!!! Amazing.
I hear you on the books, I went to the library in Spokane with Brendan and we came across one that was about daddy's wedding to his new husband?! SERIOUSLY?
I'm kind of a techno geek I guess because I love the new technologies...my latest piece of technology that I probably won't be able to afford anytime soon without feeling enormously guilty? A Kindle. [if you don't know what it is you should definately google!]
Post a Comment