CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Our Lives & A Rant

Should I rant first?  Hmmm . . .  I think I'll do it last or I might forget to update about our life.  lol

The play is over.  Yay!  But even though it is over, I have still been busy, busy, busy!  I thought summer was full of nothing!  Yea right.

I started working from home last Wednesday as an SEO content writer.  Don't know what that is?  I didn't either.  I work as an independent contractor for eLocal Listings and write 250 to 200 words for a company's profile.  But . . . what I write has to be written a certain way in order for Google, Yahoo, etc. to include them in their searches.  That is about what I understand.  And I get paid $3.00 for 250 words and $2.50 for 200 words.  I've gotten my time down to where I am making $12.50 an hour.  Hopefully I can get faster.

I'm still working on getting faster and am trying to get set on my work hours.  Today, I worked while the kids were napping (and they still are. :) and then I will work again when they go to bed after 7:00 pm.  For now, I am only going to work Monday through Thursday so I can be work free and spend time on the house and with family on the weekends.  Yay!  Date nights!

DISNEYLAND next week!  We are too excited to take the kids for their first time and even more so that their Grandma Debbie and Grandpa Steve will be there with them.  It's a magical place after all. :)

Okay, now the RANT:

A little awhile ago, someone made this comment:

"I was too busy to have postpartum depression."

REALLY???!!!  You think I wasn't busy with a newborn????  I just sat down and did nothing and was like, "Bring on the depression!  Yay!"

I was VERY nice during the conversation, but the more I thought about it later (and obviously even now), I got irked.

Postpartum depression is NOT a choice.  I almost killed myself for crying out loud.  Do you think I wanted to feel and be that way?!

Honestly, this is the first person I have come across that has been so ignorant and I'm grateful that I haven't had more experiences like this one.  I feel so sorry for women that don't have support and understanding from their friends and family.  I have been blessed with amazing support.  I think I'd go bonkers if I had to deal with those kind of comments all the time. 

Awareness people.  Awareness.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Ok first of all I think you are a better woman than I am. I seriously probably would not have handled that comment the way you did...I'd get pretty angry-heck I am now! ;)

I am so hearing you on the no time, I'm still wondering when summer is supposed to start because I am SO busy. Throw in a couple of unexpected illnesses (FOR ME...not the kids) into the mix and I'm swamped! oh and let's not mention all the NOISE, NOISE, NOISE, NOISE...YEP call me the summer Grinch this year!

Cassondra said...

Oh Vanessa, some people really are just so ignorant. I'm sorry! Good for you for holding your tongue. That couldn't have been easy!! I think it is so awesome that you donate your time to helping educate people on PPD and giving support.

EvaMarieva said...

I would be irritated too. you are awesome and thanks for all your tips. Part of the reason I know we will be okay is because you are willing to share and be such a great example.

PS I am soooo glad you are here at D-land because it means you are staying with us!

Lark said...

I have been meaning to ask about your job search. Sounds like you found the perfect job. I hope you continue to find the balance - I know you will!