CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Private Parts in Kindergarten

Yes, you read the title correctly.

I knew Daniel would be exposed to the world upon entering Kindergarten, but he was more exposed than I had ever expected! At least he is a boy.

This morning, Daniel told Carlo and I about a little boy who showed him his private parts at school the first week. Daniel was scared to tell us because he thought he would get in trouble. We had a little conversation with our son and then I spoke with the teacher before school started to get fully informed.

Yes, the first week of school she caught a kid pointing to his private parts and the kids told her he had shown them as well. She said she didn't doubt it and took care of the situation.

Seriously, the first week of Kindergarten? Wow. We really have to start teaching them things at a young age in today's world. Scary.

Thoughts anyone?

5 comments:

Cory said...

though it is unfortunate, i think it's pretty common. when i was in preschool i remember losing to a friend for a chance to go and see a boy named ronnie's bum in the bathroom. i was so sad that i lost the chance and that she won. but then they got caught in the bathoom and got in trouble so i wasn't too sad after that. i think it's pretty common. you just have to try and teach your kid not to do that kind of stuff but they are VERY curious at that age. That's probably why so many people homeschool because they are afraid to have their kids exposed to those kinds of things. So like i said.... while it is unfortunate, it is very common and gives you something to laugh about later. not right now... but later.

Whitney said...

Before the school year starts we have a talk with our boys about bathroom behavior... Then we tell they are never to show or look at anyone and that they need to tell their teacher or me if someone tried to show them something.
So far Nick and Cody have not had that experience.
Good luck.

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

Welcome to the public school system! I think that as long as your kids know that they can tell you ANYTHING, then you'll be ok. My 13 year old told me this summer that he doesn't tell me anything anymore about what goes on at school, because he knows I'll go talk to the teacher or the principal. I think that some day (not today, but some day), maybe he'll be glad he had a mom who cared enough to talk to the teachers!

EvaMarieva said...

Wow. It is more common than many would like to think and I agree with a lot of what was said above. I think talking to your kids about situations like this and preparing them how to react and what to do is the best. After the fact I would talk to them about what happened and make sure they were not upset or traumatized. It is all in how you handle it. They need to know you are always there for them and to feel safe in talking to you and their teachers. These experiences can be more traumatic than a parent might originally realize. Good luck-this is what I personally dread about being a parent!

Kristy said...

Yikes - My oldest starts kindergarten in one year and that is EXACTLY what I'm afraid of - just imagine - these kids are going into a world where there are going to be other kids that say "I was born a boy, but I should be a girl" - or - "I'm a boy and I'm attracted to other boys" -

I'm frightened. I think you handled it well, I would always try to teach him more BEFORE you think he'll encounter it - I'm thinking he will run into this type of stuff WAY EARLIER than anyone can imagine.