I felt I should explain my parenting in response to the situation from my previous post. I asked for thoughts about the post, but didn't write about how we dealt with it.
Carlo and I have been teaching Daniel for almost two years about our special parts (we do use the proper term in our home) and that it is not to be touched, shown, looked at, etc. We also reminded him of those things before school started as he is on his own with people we don't know every day.
After he told us about the kid at school, we calmly asked him a few questions about the situation (I know freaking out can cause more problems), reminded him of our previous conversations and I even asked him if he was okay if I asked his teacher about what happened. He said he was fine with me talking to her. And I, of course, told him once again that I love for him to tell me everything and to not be scared to talk to me- it's better to tell me than not to.
I am thankful we did discuss these things with him before as he was one of the kids to tell the teacher about what happened. I'm still not sure why he was scared to tell me. But I remember being that way as a kid too.
A family member made a comment the other day that really stuck with me, "We are not preparing our children for IF in this day and age, but WHEN."
I didn't expect the when to happen so soon.
Wednesday, September 2, 2009
For the Previous Post
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
You and Carlo are good parents! I need to take a few pointers from you :)
Post a Comment