CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, December 15, 2007

The Finger

I had never thought about my children having their own special bond. Anytime Daniel pays attention to Coral, her eyes light up and she grabs his head. Daniel just chuckles and says "Look Mom, she's getting me. She likes me!" Until recently . . . Daniel has started to annoy Coral. On Friday, he kept pulling her arm away from a toy and she finally yanked it loose, screamed and hit him. The whole episode was quite funny, but it only confirmed that our little girl does have a temper. This temper is brought to the surface in a few situations: If I am feeding her solids and get up to do something, when someone is bugging her and if she wants something and you are too slow to take care of it. She is certainly off to a good start as the princess of our family. Even so, I walked into the room the other day and found the two of them cuddling and having a "picnic" as Daniel called it. Of course, it was a "Kodak" picture moment for a mom.





We finally put up our Christmas tree this past Sunday. Sadly, we resorted to a fake tree again this year (I know it is such a disappointment Cory). We didn't have the time to go together for a real tree. It is in our future though! Daniel, surprisingly, played with two ornaments the whole time- his plane and train- and left everything else to us! There was no late night visit from Christmas Elves to rearrange the tree! Coral just hung out and watched the festivities; or more accurately Daniel, as he ran around the room.



We started a new tradition this year. I have been gung ho on getting our own family traditions started since Daniel is getting older and can remember last Christmas already. So, we went to Target and picked out a family ornament that reminded us of something from the year. We probably could have picked out a baby ornament for Coral's birth, but Daniel doesn't have one, so we opted for a lantern. It is in remembrance of our trip to The Grand Canyon Caverns. A lantern is needed to camp and they also used them in the olden days in the caves. Perfect ornament! It even attaches to the string of lights!



My highlight this week was- drum roll please- smashing my finger in Coral's closet door! Daniel, Coral and I were going about our evening clean up of the house when I pulled Coral's closet door shut and my diamond caught on the door and pulled my finger right into the danger zone. My finger hurt a little, but when I looked, it was bleeding, swollen and squished due to my ring bending around it! And I have a platinum ring . . . Carlo was working, so I called my dad. He was a great help and supported me through my crying as it took five, very painful minutes to remove the ring. The process involved holding my hand in freezing ice water, lathering it with vaseline and repeating the process over and over so my finger would not swell too much. I was determined to get that ring off and endure the pain rather than visit the E.R. and have my wedding ring mutilated beyond repair. Now I just need to go and get in reshaped. I can hardly wait to see the jewler's face when I bring it in.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

can't remember if i told you this before, but we get an ornament each year that reminds us of the year too. we have ever since we got married. i love it. just be sure to write the date on them somewhere so you can remember what year you did what.

Stephanie said...

I had my wedding ring cut off once after Brendan was born. I was swelling for some unknown reason and it was causing a pain to shoot up into my elbow...so I went to the ER and they cut it off...I almost cried (and scott about had a heart attack) when I saw what they did to it, but luckily Jewelers are amazing people and they made it look just like new! So don't worry that is a really easy (and relatively cheap) fix!

EvaMarieva said...

Wow that must have hurt! I am glad you got it off though.

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

Ouch. I haven't even had a wedding ring for at least 10 years. I lose everything, so valuable rings just don't work for me! Oh, and aren't dads great?! Merry Christmas! Kelli

Ashlynn and Coleton said...

Dont be depressed without me this year. I miss Vegas SOOOOO much. I will be there some time the begining of next year.

Anonymous said...

My Mom decided not to wear her wedding ring when we were little. I guess she knew why! Your ring looks terrible!

Daisy Paige said...

Yikes! You must have smashed your finger a good one in that door.

Josh and I have spent three Christmases together now, and we've always intended to start the tradition of adding a special new ornament to remind us of that year, but haven't yet. This was a good reminder post.