CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Feelin' the Love at Target

With a baby, you often receive a pluthera of attention from strangers. They like to ooh and aah and standing near by is my sweet little Daniel. He'll try to get in on the conversation by announcing "She is my little brother/sister." (Daniel gets a little confused as to who is the brother and who is the sister.) The stranger will then ask some questions about Coral, ask his age and then tell him to take care of his little sister. I think he has been quite well mannered during the one-sided attention conversations. It's not easy for a three year old when he use to be the apple of everyone's eye.

While visiting Target today (a common stomping ground), an elderly couple followed the above dialogue almost to a tee. I can pretty much pick out right from the start which person will present these monologues. Yep, monologues, as they never speak to me; purely directing their attention at Coral, who cannot even return their praise. Which puts me onto another thought- why don't they ever speak to the parent? After all, they are strangers.

But I digress . . . A Targer employee walked up to Coral and said how cute she was and then immediately turned to Daniel and started talking to him about him. She told him she was the "older" sister and understood what it was like for him. Immediately, Daniel's eyes lit up and he exclaimed, "I love you!"

How sweet are those words, even when uttered to a Target employee. This just leads me to believe that he really has felt the neglect these past six months and truly did love this lady for paying attention to him for once.

Let us all try to acknowledge the older siblings of tiny babies, and who knows, maybe we'll be the recipient of an "I love you" statement.

7 comments:

Brie said...

Do you still have the memory mixer package? I have not done any digital scrapbooking but I am really thinking about it. How much is it? I might be interested. Do you love it?

Ashlynn and Coleton said...

I cant really say i understand, but everyone thought ashlynn and coleton were twins, and she was so young that they thought they were both so cute. Really i am just trying to make having kids 16 months apart sound like fun. It's not in case you were wondering

EvaMarieva said...

Danny makes my heart melt. Thanks for sharing this. He is the apple of Mike's eye.

Anonymous said...

i remember feeling this way when i was younger too. everyone always payed attention to keelie and i was left in the dust. there was this lady at my moms work that would pay special attention to me and i LOVED her for it. i'm going to try and be better about that with my friends and family with little ones. i tend to pay attention to the babies (until they poop or cry that is!!)

Brock Nelson said...

I think you sent me an invite to a tasting party for Sat. I was planning on going and realized I have a eye appointment at the same time. If you have another, for sure let me know!

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

Can you really blame these people? Your kids are just way too beautiful! Kelli Swaner

Lila said...

That is so touching. And Vanessa, you have a talent for writing. I think you express yourself so well. What a sweeet story. Thanks for sharing...