CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Flying with Children?

We will be flying to visit Carlo's mom and step-dad in May. Of course, the planner and worrier that I am, I have already started figuring things out. But I have a few questions I was hoping one of my fellow bloggers might be able to answer.

The last time we flew, Daniel was under two and could sit on our lap. Now, I have two children. Daniel weighs enough, so he can sit in the airplane without a car seat. Coral needs a car seat or a CARES harness.

For convenience, I thought I'd buy the harness. It folds up in your carry on and I'd be able to check the car seat. But . . . they are $75.

I'm mostly concerned with flying back from Arkansas. The kids and I are staying an extra week and I'll be toting everything by myself. I read the guidelines for our airline and you are allowed a car seat or a stroller. I'd really like to take a stroller because I don't want to lose Coral in the airport!

Any suggestions?

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

I feel like I am resident pro with traveling on planes by MYSELF with children. I've been doing it at least twice a year since our kids were born. So.... Here is my advice: CHECK the carseats. The only time a carseat is useful is if you have a baby and you are taking on the carrier, otherwise it's a waste of effort. They tell you that your children are safer in a carseat on a plane, but seriously I think the only reason they tell you that is for the 5pt. harness straps, but if your kids are at least 3 they don't really even need the 5pt. A seatbelt on an airplane is simply a lap belt and that won't harm their insides because you can strap it on where it's supposed to go. TAKE the stroller. The stroller saves you SOOOOOO much trouble of having to first carry the kids (because heaven knows even if they are good, the airport will be the one place where you DON'T want to lose your child.) and second you won't have to carry all your crap. (you can't travel light when you travel with kids.) Also: BACKPACKS: (I've got a few you can have if you need them. ) Pack a pack for each child-things to do, comfort item [we have bears]. THEY can carry it and it makes them feel special. And last but not least: You can ask TSA for a private screening so that you don't have to go through the lines by yourself. Priceless.

EvaMarieva said...

No advice from us-since we don't have to travel with kids but I wanted to say good luck and I know it will work out because you are so awesome!

PS If you want to borrow our portable DVD player I will send it on to you.

Whitney said...

Stephanie summed it up. She sound s like she know what she is talking about, I would take a stroller, we don't want to lose those cute kids of yours. and I would check the car seat. always have a lot of snacks and toys, games for them.

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

EVERY time I've brought a stroller, it's been lost (and never recovered) or broken. So I've decided that I'll never bring a nice one again, just a cheap-o umbrella stroller.

Sounds like a fun trip!

Stephanie said...

PS: I've looked into all of those harnesses and 'portable' chairs, but I found out that all of them are NOT safe-unless they have a board on the back...(and my thought was that I'm not srapping my kid to a board...)[I was looking into them because I thought it would be MUCH simpler to not have to take a carseat on my last trip.]

Jax said...

I'm with Steph, if you're child is too big for an infant carrier they don't need a carseat on the plane. Obviously Coral outgrew that a while ago. Take the stroller. A cheap one like the previous comment mentioned. It's not like you're going to be out jogging while on your trip. You'll mostly just need it for the airport. Good luck! Can you pack us in your bags??

EvaMarieva said...

i know you aren't on much but wanted to let you know that the site we used to have for our blog is now a weird link. here is the new http site:

http://adesignerandmusiciangotmarried.blogspot.com/

Cory said...

hey- give them suckers to shut them up. that works!!

Leigh said...

Lots of candy! New toys. Things that occupy them. Are you sure Coral needs a carseat or harness? I flew with my boys right after Weston's 2nd birthday. Neither of the boys had car seats. They just sat in their airplane seats.