We recently had a visit from two wandering strangers from Arkansas- Carlo's mother and step-father. They are not strangers to Carlo and I, but sadly they are to our children. With a majority of the United States separating us, we are only able to see each other once a year. Their previous visit, Coral was two weeks old and Daniel was still a two year old!
Even so, we ventured off to the airport to surprise Grandma. I love seeing her face light up and tears well-up in her eyes. It's such a wonderful feeling to know my mother-in-law loves my kids as much as me. Daniel was shy, but warmed up after a few hours and Coral . . . well, she was pretty much glued to my side the whole week. At least Grandma was able to cuddle her all she wanted the last trip.
Their visits are filled with fun and adventure. My mother-in-law is classified as yellow according to the color personality test and she tends to prove the theory.
They arrived Monday evening. Tuesday morning, we met them at their hotel and went swimming. For lunch, we took Daniel for his first experience to Peter Piper's Pizza. The pizza was surprisingly yummy and Daniel loved the games. Coral loved the tickets and would grab any she could find spitting out of games- even tickets of other children! I also had some random girl running up to me and giving me her tickets. It must be my trusting face. With Grandpa's big score on the Wheel of Fortune game, we totaled 750 tickets and walked away with a bag full of delightfully cheap toys. It's the fun getting the toys that makes it all worth it!
Then it was off to score a fishing pole for Daniel. Grandpa took him to Walmart and they picked out his first pole and picked up some worms for the morning. Grandma and Grandpa live on a lake in Arkansas and go out fishing on their dock and boat all the time.
Tuesday evening, we drove across town to the Silverton. If anyone is every looking for a new buffet, theirs is pretty good. They also have an amazing aquarium. We watched all the fish for awhile and then explored Bass Pro Shop. I had never been in one and was in awe at how massive the store was along with all the things to look at including more aquariums. It was a fun, free pastime.
Wednesday morning it was time for fishing. Daniel has been talking about fishing with them for months. When they booked their trip, they also promised fishing! We lucked out and caught seven fish! They were too tiny to keep, but it was fun to watch. I caught a few myself and we plan on taking the family again when it gets cooler.
Carlo met up with us for lunch and then we all drove down to Circus Circus Adventuredome. Daniel had fun on all the rides that didn't go too fast. I forget he has yet to turn three, but he's 44" tall and can go on almost all of the rides! Unfortunately, Coral wasn't too keen on having me out of her line of vision and both kids tuckered out fast so our theme park fun ended early.
This left time for Carlo and I to go out on a date! Carlo's mom always offers to babysit when they are in town and of course we take her up on it! We went and grabbed some Coldstone and watched Hancock. It was funny. I'm not sure it is a theater movie, but definitely a rental.
Thursday was our last day with Grandma and Grandpa. Daniel kept begging them all day to stay the night at "their house." He stayed with them on Tuesday night, but they had to leave too early in the morning for the airport. He also slept in their bed and I don't think Grandma and Grandpa slept all that well. He loved spending time with them.
We went swimming again and then to McDonald's for lunch. The day ended with a pizza party with special guests from California- my mother-in-laws close friends. They haven't seen her for awhile and have never met Daniel and Coral. Carlo and I kept the party going with some bowling on the Wii for the old timers. It was fun to watch them.
And at last it was time to say good-bye with plans for the next time to fly there. It is so much fun to see them and I wish we lived closer so my kids could know their grandparents better.
Now life is back to normal with summer boredom creeping up. And the cool mom that I am, we put up our tent in the living room to have a camp-out last night complete with s'mores (a big thanks to my sis for stopping at the store on the way over). Alas, my living room is now 100% full of a tent, but the kids love it.
Monday, July 14, 2008
Time to Say Good-bye
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
I am really glad you had fun with devvie and Steve-you have a great in-laws. It sounds like it was a busy week and yes you are one of teh coolest mom's I know. Love you!
You are a cool mom! I think the camping trip in the living room sounds so fun - s'mores and all! You're kids are lucky to have you!
Your whole time with grandparents sounds like a blast! I'm happy for you and sad that our grandma's and grandpa's all live so far away, too. How nice to have them come visit!
cassondra
You are such a fun mom, Vanessa!
Post a Comment