As I look back on last week, all I can think is, "That's really weird."
I met with Daniel's pediatrician and he went over all of the test results with me. Everything was normal.
I wanted to know exactly what happened and asked him lots of questions. I'm a pretty relaxed mom when I visit him, but not this time and I prepared him for it. And . . . he was very thorough and resolved all of my concerns.
Now that we know what happened, I can write about a few of the illnesses we were afraid Daniel had:
1. Leukemia
2. Juvenile Arthritis
3. HS purpura
Some pretty scary stuff. Let's just say last week was extremely stressful. I shared an experience in my Relief Society lesson yesterday and I'd like to post it here.
After the doctor saw Daniel's bruises in the ER, his treatment immediately went from oral Benadryl to blood panels, a urine sample and an IV with three medications injected through the IV. I was freaking out inside. Carlo had to go and do something at work before he could come to the E.R., so for three and a half hours I sat by Daniel's side not knowing what was wrong.
Daniel is a special spirit. If we were to know our "spiritual age", he would be much older than I. He is a wise, old soul even at the age of five. I've even had quite a few people mention this to me. I was thinking about all of this while in the ER and I knew it would be okay if he was taken from us. He's already done so much good in his five years of life. He's an example to me and I'm his mom!
To some, this may seem like an unusual thought process for a mom, but I know we will all be together again after this life. My family is eternal.
While in the ER, I was given the peace and comfort I needed.
And so, in the end, Daniel was allergic to his viral infection. Weird. Right? It baffles me that we already get sick from viral infections, but to then have your body literally be allergic to the virus. Really? So, his antibodies attacked the virus and then started attacking him because they were confused from the histamines released from the allergic reaction. That is according to my understanding via an explanation given to Daniel from his pediatrician using verbage from a Wii tank game he loves. Wow.
Each day his skin reacts better to being touched and no one would even know anything happened. Over the past week, he has been taking four medications to get his body back on track.
I'm grateful for modern medicine.
Tuesday, February 16, 2010
Really?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
so glad he is doing better and that everything is okay. totally weird that your body can be allergic to something like that. allergies are so strange. my cousin was allergic to her amnionic fluid when she was pregnant with her baby. she was itchy all over and bright red. she was so miserable. our bodies can act so weird sometimes. glad he is okay.
I am so glad he is getting better and that the worst didn't happen. I appreciuated your reflections on the experience. You are a strong woman and example.
You are such a good mom! I love you- you so inspire me. Thanks for sharing your feelings.
Wow. Thank heaven for modern medicine. I'm so glad they figured things out. I'm so sorry I didn't ask about him last night!
So glad everything turned out ok!! You are such a strong women and am so blessed to call you a friend! love ya and I hope you are feeling better two!!
Post a Comment